News:

Migration to SMF has been completed!   Squadron members must RE-REGISTER!

Main Menu

DCS - So you like hawg weapon systems?

Started by Primus, September 29, 2015, 12:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primus

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3171145/How_to_use_weapons_-_Picture_g

Wow, this guy did an excellent job in illustrating A-10C weapons systems. Thread is well worth the read.

Primus sucks.

Etherlight

Very quick and dirty way to drop your first bomb, yup. Buuuuuuuut you wouldn't do it that way in a real mission. ^^ You usually don't activate weapons in the DSMS page, then activate a certain drop mode, then activate your laser manually when the bomb is dropped etc. etc.

Usually you set up weapon profiles with predefined dropmode, autolasing (yeah, the plane can actually activate the laser at a predefined time for you, so you can concentrate on the next task) and stuff that automatically happens when you then select the appropriate profile.

Hear more on wednesday :D

Nraged

So far I've been dropping GBU38s from as high as 25k ft with a huge success. I'd say 100% accuracy. Its plain, simple and requires very little work.
My next task is to drop 4 bombs in one pass,  which would be pre-defined by markpoints. I wonder if I would have to press "Release Weapons" button every time I get a bomb drop authority, or if I can just hold it and just cycle through targets and bombs would drop on their own.

Also, whats the main benefit of laser guided bombs? Are they more accurate or they're designed for moving targets?
I'm guessing that GBU38s drop on the Markpoint/GPS location and laser ones paint the actual vehicle, is that correct?

Etherlight

Correct, lasertargeted bombs are for moving targets. For stationary stuff GPS-guided stuff is better, because you can basically drop them from extreme altituded and are not dependent on weather/cloud cover.

Nraged

Gotcha!
The benfits of lazer guided are quite abvious. After you hit the first target, the vehicles scatter and the remaining bombs would miss. Actually so will the Mavericks if I'm using Markpoints for TGP targeting.

So laser guided are more suitable for lower altitude bombing I suppose. What would be the desired altitude at max range?