News:

Non-Squadron members should have received a new password via email.  Thanks for your patience!

Main Menu

Windows 10 Specific Hardware Issues

Started by 80hd, August 31, 2015, 11:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

80hd

:airplane

Hokai,

I've recently (and rather unceremoniously) nuked my Win 7 install and did a Win 10 install from scratch.  So far, with very little exception, it's been quite smooth.

Those little exceptions, to date, have been directly related to Sim-centric hardware, so I am starting this thread to catalog fixes.

First off:  Cougar MFDs.

This may not currently affect many of you, but if you use Pand's Target Script, it will fail out of the gate currently.

What happens: MFDs will flash on and off during login/at login prompt (assuming you have one, I am on Enterprise), but stop once you log in to Windows.

When you launch the Target Script, everything looks fine, but within a few seconds it will state that one of two devices (USB X) has been disconnected, and the entire script will abort. 

Why it's happening: Windows 10 is apparently trying to do some super efficient green-power happy unicorn fart saver mode with your "not in use" USB devices.  You are going to need to go into the registry to fix this.  Of course.

What you need to do: In a nutshell, you're going to need to dig down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\ find the correct VID for both MFDs, go to the "Device Parameters" Key and change "EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled" from 1 to 0.

The step by step from MS: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2900614

Some notes/tips:

1.  Every time you switch USB ports, you're going to be creating a new entry in your registry.  Try to keep them in the same port.  If you leave them in the same place on your hub, and plug your hub into the same port on your PC, you're golden.  Just remember this in 6 months when you re-arrange your desk and stuff stops working again.

2.  It appears that Thrustmaster's VID is VID_044, and my MFDs are PID_B351 and B352.  (Your mileage may vary)

3.  This may or may not pertain, but I went ahead with this suggestion I found as well.  Go into Device Manager, go down to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and right click each Hub (Generic and USB Root) click the Power Management tab and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

4.  REBOOT.  The registry changes won't work until you do.

:banana

:airplane
"CHEERS DAKPILOT" - Dakpilot