News:

Non-Squadron members should have received a new password via email.  Thanks for your patience!

Main Menu

New mission is up. Needs testing.

Started by AbortedMan, April 24, 2015, 05:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley_C

I enjoy high level bombing for 3 reasons. The first, It takes between 20-25 minutes to climb to altitude which gives me a sense of immersion. Second, at that altitude the likelihood of being intercepted is pretty small as no one wants to climb up that high to intercept me. Thus, I am able to make it back about 4/5 times which is great odds for a 111 especially given the new parameters. As for a historical aspect, 111 did do high level bombing between 4-6 k during the first quarter of 1940 trying to strike RAF airfields. I understand we are playing in a different theater, however they did do high altitude prior to where we are. That is straight out of PG, 278 and PG,158,(see below) in The Luftwaffe: Hitler's Eagles The second picture's caption is ''Left: A particularly famous image of an HE-111 at 4 kilometers over the Thames river in London 1940, major rivers, roads and similar land marks were crucial navigation aids for bomber crews at altitude.'' Third, at that altitude every little mistake costs you a potential hit. Once I started getting better at level bombing, the only way to make it more challenging is to to really high level stuff. As for the ordnance, I completely understand where y'all are coming from and the rationale behind the decision. That being said, I just personally enjoy level bombing with large ordnance, its not that it makes it easier or harder, it just looks awesome seeing two satans go off from 7k up. I suppose it would give a little bit of forgiveness as for the precision of the drop. I understand it isn't entirely plausible or realistic, but I enjoy what I enjoy and I don't feel the need to defend my personal preferences any longer and would like to consider this discussion closed. I sincerely hope the old mission will still be available some times as it was easier/more fun to run by yourself if you only have a few minutes to get some flight time in.

-Cooper :rock :airplane